Determination of Calcium and Iron in Prostate and Bladder Tumors by Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer
Back ground and objective: Serum calcium and iron were used as a biochemical markers for investigation of the neoplastic diseases ,since there is a growing concern about the possible links between these minerals and tumors of various organs and tissues ,the objectives of this study were to determine the changes in the serum levels of Ca & Fe ions in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia and bladder cancer and to identify the role of these markers in diagnosis and prognosis of these patients .
METHODS: This study was done in Baghdad at Al-Kadhemia Teaching Hospital between 10/9/2002 and 1/9/2003 .Serum samples were obtained for measurement of calcium and iron.,which were determined by flame atomic absorption spectrophotometer .
RESULT Hypercalcemia affects up to 30% of patients with bladder and prostate cancers. In addition there were a decrease in the iron serum level as a result of tumor growth .
CONCLUSIONS: Hypercalcemia, is one of the most common metabolic disorders accompanying neoplasia.The cancers most often associated with hypercalcemia, in addition there were a
reduction in serum level of iron this biochemical marker may be associated with the pathogenesis of cancer.
- Blake ,D. et al :The effect of Synovial Iron on the progression of Rhumatoid Disease ,Arthritis and Rhumatism 1984 ; vol 27(5) p.495
- Serge Herberg ,Carla Estaquio, Sebastien Czernichowet al :Iron Status and Risk of Cancers in the Su.VI.MAX Cohort, American Society for Nutrition J. nutr. 2005 November ; 135:2664-2668
-Sunali S Khanna and Freny Karjodkar : Circulating Immune Complexes and trace elements (Copper, Iron, and Selenium ) as markers in oral precancer and cancer :a randomized ,controlled clinical trial , Head and Face Med 2006 ; 2:33
- Veli Yalçin, Süleyman Ataus, Ayşegül Telci : Relation between bladder cancer and protein oxidation. Int Urol Nephrol, 2003 ; 35(3): 345-350,
-Mazdak H, Yazdekhasti F, Movahedian A, Mirkheshti N, : The comparative study of serum iron, copper, and zinc levels between bladder cancer patients and a control group; Int Urol Nephrol. Jun 23. 2009
- Eugene D.Weinberg : Iron therapy and Cancer :Kidney International , 1999 ;Vol .55,suppl.69: 131-134
- YilmazIA, Akay T ,Cakatay U et al :Relation between bladder cancer and protein oxidation , Int Urol Nephrol , 2003; 35 (3) :345-50 ,
- John Schieszer : Calcium, Prostate Cancer Link Found , Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention ,2008;17:2302-2305.
- Yoav P. Talmi, MD , Gregory T. Wolf, MD 1, Ramon Esclamad MD: Ionized serum calcium levels following combined treatment for cancer of the head and neck The Laryngoscope , 2009 4 Jan ; Volume 103 Issue 9, Pages 1048 – 1051.
- Buck BH., Liebeskind DS. ,Saver JL., et al. : Association of higher serum calcium levels with smaller infarct volumes in acute ischemic strokeArch Neurol , 2007, vol. 64, pp. 1287 –1291.
-Rosol TJ, Capen CC. Mechanisms of cancer-induced hypercalcemia. Lab Invest. 1992;67:680-702.
-Guise TA, Jin JJ, Taylor SD, et al. : Evidence for causal role of parathyroid hormone-related protein in the pathogenesis of human breast cancer-mediated osteolysis. J Clin Invest. 1996;98:1544-9.
- Peter Fuszek, Peter Lakatos, Adam Tabak, Janos Papp et al : Relationship between serum calcium and CA 19-9 levels in colorectal cancer; World J Gastroenterol 2004;10(13):1890-1892
- Ritchie CK, Thomas KG, Andrews LR, Tindall DJ, Fitzpatrick LA. Effects of the calciotrophic peptides calcitonin and parathyroid hormone on prostate cancer growth and chemotaxis ,prostate ,1997 ;30: 183- 187.
- Dori Seccareccia, MD CCFP(EM) MClSc : Cancer-related hypercalcemia ; Can Fam Physician , March 2010 ;Vol. 56, No. 3, pp.244 – 246
- Jinhui Liao, Abraham Schneider, Nabanita S. Datta et al : Extracellular Calcium as a Candidate Mediator of Prostate Cancer Skeletal Metastasis ; Cancer Research, 2006 September 15 ; 66, 9065-9073
- Arch G. Mainous, , Brian J. Wells, Richelle J. Koopman et al : Iron, Lipids, and Risk of Cancer in the Framingham Offspring Cohort; American Journal of Epidemiology, 2005; 161(12):1115-1122
- Sunali S Khanna and Freny R Karjodkar: Circulating Immune Complexes and Trace Elements (Copper ,Iron and Selenium ) as markers in oral precancer and Cancer : a Randomized ,controlled clinical trial ; Head &Face Medicine , 2006; 2: 33
- Syllvia L. ,ASa ,Janet Henderson ,David Goltzman et al.: Parathyroid Hormone-Like Peptide in Normal and Neoplastic Human Endocrine Tissues ; Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism , 1990 ; Vol. 71, No. 5 , 1112-1118 .
- W. M. Philbrick, J. J. Wysolmerski, S. Galbraith, E. Holt, J. J. Orloff, K. H. Yang et al . : Defining the roles of parathyroid hormone-related protein in normal physiology ; Physiological Reviews, 1996 ; Vol 76, 127-173.
The copyright on any article published in Zanco J Med Sci is retained by the author(s) in agreement with the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial ShareAlike License (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0).